I have to admit. I HATE apple pie. Can’t stand it. However, I am OK with enjoying some apple desserts. Would I rather eat a brownie or a cookie or ice cream? Absolutely. However, my mom asked me to use some of her Granny Smith apples that were about to turn. So I decided to brainstorm “healthier” apple crisp that I wouldn’t mind eating. I put “healthier” in quotes because I hate labeling food healthy/unhealthy. But if you compare it to regular apple crisp, this recipe doesn’t have as much sugar or butter in it.
Healthier Apple Crisp (Serves 3) Recipe by Andrea Golden
-4 Granny Smith Apples
-1 cup rolled oats
-1/4 cup chopped walnuts
-1/3 cup of honey
-Coconut oil spray
-Vanilla frozen yogurt
- Preheat oven 350*F
- Dice 1 Granny Smith Apple
3. In the microwave heat honey for 30 seconds. (You could also heat in the stove).
4. Next, in a bowl combine oats, diced apple, a few heavy shakes of cinnamon, walnuts, and honey and stir.
5. Then spread out on a greased baking sheet (I did not grease my sheet and some of it stuck, so I suggest spraying it) and bake in the oven for 25 minutes (or until the edges are brown and crispy). It is basically like a granola!
6. Meanwhile saute 3 sliced apples in a pan with coconut oil and a few shakes of cinnamon.
7. Cook them until nice and softened.
8. Once the granola has cooled break it up and sprinkle it over the warmed apples. Serve with vanilla frozen yogurt, we used the Turkey Hill brand, sprinkle remaining granola over the yogurt.
Let me know if you try out the recipe!